From:
Leo Walford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:42:44 +0000
     Re the discussions about KBV and the importing of bees from New
     Zealand or elsewhere, I just wonder when we (humans) will ever learn.

     History is littered with so many examples of humans moving organisms
     from the places where they are native and relatively benign to other
     places where they prove to have unforeseen and terrible consequences.
     For example:

     the introduction of smallpox and influenza to the Americas by
     Europeans

     the introduction of rabbits to Australia by the British

     the introduction of rats and cats to New Zealand

     the introduction of varroa to Europe and North America

     It simply is not possible to guarantee that the importation of bees
     from New Zealand to the UK will not result in terrible consequences.
     Is the potential reward to be gained from such importation worth the
     risk? I don't think it's possible to say, since it's not possible to
     know the actual risk of doing it until it's too late. The New
     Zealanders (presumably influenced by the terrible havoc wrought on
     their native wildlife by imported cats, dogs, rats etc.) do not allow
     the importation of bees to New Zealand, and I think they're right to
     do so. The only sensible thing seems to be for the UK to do the same.

     Please forgive the rant, and it shouldn't be taken personally by those
     wishing to do the importation - it's not directed at them, but at the
     principle of the thing.

     Leo Walford
     London, UK