From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 01:53:25 -0500
> ...also claims a patent on an imaginarium of devices and techniques
> they have not developed, This shoot-the-moon approach appears to
> me to be complete overreach, and an attempt to block or profit by
> any future devices actually developed by our fellow tinkerers.

This is an artifact of the patent application process.  The document is an
application for a patent, not one accepted by the USPTO.  The broad and
sweeping language is likely the work of a patent attorney with a less-than
perfect understanding of the technicalities.  This, given the adversarial
nature of the process (they don't call it "patent prosecution" for nothing!)
is likely an attempt to stake out as much area as possible, knowing that
they will be forced to give considerable ground on any claims they make.

To be blunt, a very quick search found one patent was granted decades ago
for a man-made comb where honey would drain from the comb "on demand".
Given that patent, I do not see much "novelty" in the subject patent
application at all.  A kickstarter while the patent is under review is
likely the only way they can finance the tooling required.

> They are pandering to people who don't want to "open the hive,"
> who want to "rob the honey" with the "flick of a switch."

How do any of those desires come only from a lack of willingness to inspect
their bees when there are not heavy supers atop the brood chambers?
One could make the same claims about a Billet Ezyloader!

> We can instantly 'freeze' the movements of all bees on several
> frames for 2-3 minutes.  Just haven't figured out how to extend
> the time of immobilization and the need for a battery-powered device.

We got it up to a whole hive, but the beekeeper needed to wear aircraft
carrier flightline ear protectors, and the power requirements were, ahem,
excessive.

http://www.bee-quick.com/rpt2/calm.html