Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 05:53:36 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I have heard of chemical residue building up in your wax and the cells
> getting smaller over time. How often should the brood wax be changed out
> and what problems if any could this cause in the hive? Also how often, if
> needed should the wax in the supers be changed out?

This will happen only if you, yourself, put chemicals into the hive.
Depending where you are and the legalities you could use chemicals that soon break
down to carbon dioxide and water, or are found in honey anyway.

If you use persistent chemicals and don't want them ending up on your toast
you should renew brood combs regularly and frequently.  The practice in
Denmark, for example, is to use formic acid for varroa treatments and to renew comb
annually.  This seems to be 'best practice' towards which we should aim, but
from which most fall far short.  With this turnover of brood comb most of the
health problems disappear thus reducing the need for chemicals.

Bees do, to some extent, move wax around within a hive (I can't quote a
source for this information, but think it is correct).  If so, there is a chance
that noxious chemicals placed below will find their way upstairs.

Chemical can form part of Integrated Pest Management but do need thought.  As
an example, again depending on your local honey flows, climate etc, you could
treat against varroa after removal of the honey crop by using whatever
chemical is currently in vogue, and then shake the colony onto fresh
foundation/starter strips in spring, sacrificing what brood there is, complete with mites,
nosema, and unnoticed foul brood.

The super wax can go on for years, but I find that sooner or later I get a
crop of brassica that sets within the comb and so I simply either scrape down to
the foundation or cut out the whole comb, so there is a steady turnover.  Wax
moth (the beekeeper's friend) can ensure some turnover but usually doesn't go
into super comb much unless the queen has been up there.

Chris