Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 20:07:33 -0700
Anyone out in bee land have any info on .... <see below>

Tom Elliott wrote:

> John Day wrote:
> >

> > how are we to develop resistant bees if we treat all bees?  those left
> > untreated, and which survive, can certainly be declared as resistant, even
> > if just somewhat.  natural selection will cause some colonies to survive,
> > and many to die.  the ones that survive should be split and propagated, as
> > i have done, and allowed to continue to verify that the resistance is real.
> >
> > any thoughts?
> >

> I suspect your theory will not be as popular as you might hope.  I believe you
> are absolutley correct.  In fact I am confident that if no one anywhere treated
> their bees for mites we would in a few years have effectively resistant bees.
> That would destroy all commercial beekeepers, however.  How will they survive
> doing with few to no colonies for several years.
>
> There is however a population that will not be treated.  Feral colonies have
> been widely destroyed.  They will come back, however.  Because 'almost' all
> feral colonies are gone does not mean, all feral colonies are gone.  Many
> treated swarms will dilute the net result, but there will be resistant colonies
> around eventually.
> --
> "Test everything.  Hold on to the good."  (1 Thessalonians 5:21)
>
> Tom Elliott
> Eagle River, Alaska

Howdy Tom.

New to the list and I'm trying to find out more info on Africanized "killer" bees.
Don't DO anything with bees, but I like the critters, for their importance to
pollination.  The Verroa mite has all but wiped out all the wild stocks of H-bees here
in SO.CAL.  And I hear that they have stopped the K-bees in Texas, But if what you and
others say is true, then they will have effective immunity in just a few years. Such
immunity could get them an even greater edge over wild and domestic stocks.

Any info that you have on the K-bees would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ddlyon &;{)
OH --- most of my family lives in Anchorage, I sent over twenty years there myself.

PS It's not nice to fool Mother Nature
ddl