From:
"Glen B. Glater" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen B. Glater
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 15:41:28 EDT
Alden:

You said:

 >Although I think it would be somewhat unusual for a colony to be killed
 >off by Varroa at this time of year, I think that is what is happening right
 >now.  This is a colony that I started from a package in April (in Michigan)
 >and from which I harvested 2 medium supers of beautiful fully capped
 >honey the first week of Sept.  What I am seeing is dead pupae in open,
 >capped and partially uncapped cells; varroa running on the comb when I
 >poke at a cluster of bees with my finger; bees with their head stuck in
 >brood cells which back out when I tickle them, most of which are
 >deformed with short abdomens, and the very most rear parts that are
 >sticking out of the cells are dry and white. The population is WAY down,
 >the yellow jackets completely dominate the entrance, and I'm sure this
 >colony won't survive the autumn.  I suspected sacbrood when I first
 >saw this 3 weeks ago ( no bees sticking heads in the cells then ) but
 >now when I come back from vacation, things have deteriorated
 >dramatically and I see in "Hive and the Honeybee" that shrunken
 >abdomens and dead brood can be result of varroa kill.  That with actually
 >seeing 5 or 6 varroa running on a small area of comb when I poke at a
 >small cluster of bees has got me pretty much convinced that varroa are
 >doing them in.  I have never seen a description of a varroa killed colony
 >and have wondered how people know varroa are responsible for
 >overwinter losses.
 >
 >Any help here?  What do I do with this colony?  What do I do with the
 >combs of dead brood after the colony has died off?

Well, I don't have answers to your questions, but I can say that there
are a couple of excellent articles about varroa detection and
appearance on the Web site for the Carl Hayden Bee Research Center.
In addition, there are scientists there who can answer many of the
questions posed on this list, such as the immunological reaction to
bee venom.

Check out http://198.22.133.109/gears/rf/index.html for the Varroa
articles and http://198.22.133.109/ for the main site page.

--glen

        Midnight Networks Inc. * 200 Fifth Avenue * Waltham, MA  02154
        Glen B. Glater           Principal, Strategic Networking Group
        Phone: (617) 890-1001                    Fax:   (617) 890-0028
        Internet: [log in to unmask]      http://www.midnight.com/~glen