From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 2015 02:45:47 +0000
"The person in the bee suit is a professional, he does this all the time. How do we reach and educate this kind of person and the public to better options?"

Luckily, pest control professionals are not all callous about bees.  My mom had a serious carpenter ant problem (piles of them an inch deep began to appear on her garage floor!!) and called for pest control this summer, in July.  I was anxious because some of my bees are only 10 yards away.

The pest guy was great.  He studied the building, researched the options, explained how the treatment would work, and came back 3 times after treatment to check on the situation.

If my bees were poisoned, I couldn't tell.   One hive is slowing down compared to the others, but that could have happened anyway.   So I call it a success story.  Granted, if my mother had been a random neighbor instead, that I hadn't taken the time to get to know, and if such a person had called pest control without telling them about my bees, the outcome might have differed.

Christina