From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 11:36:47 -0600
I have just opened and checked my two yards of bees in Northern Alberta
about 150 miles north of Allen Dick. The hives all seemed strong enough for
wintering in fall of 2010. The results were as follows:

Yard 1)  22 out of 25 survived and are quite strong.

Yard 2) 10 out of 24 survived and are weak to moderately strong.

The good yard had mostly new queens in spring of 2010 and the poor yard had
mostly queens from spring 2009.

In spring of 2010 both yards received a spring treatment with oxalic acid
dribbled between frames . Both received a treatment with vaporized oxalic
acid on October 1 and another on November 1. The treatment was repeated due
to high levels of natural mite drop near the end of October.

Both yards were given 2 gallons of 2:1 sugar syrup with fumadil in
September.

I did a natural mite drop this spring with the good yard averaging 3 mites
per day and the poor yard averaging 6 mites per day. I treated the poor yard
again with vaporized oxalic acid last week, observing mite drops of 126, 55,
55, and 6 on the hives with screened bottom boards.

It appears that survival is somewhat dependent on young queens. An
indicator of survival in the fall is a willingness to take down feed.

                                    Best regards

                                    Donald Aitken