Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:12:06 -0600
> Swap when the entire spherical cluster is in the upper box, not when
> they're split between the two boxes.  In northeast Ohio, my bees are
> straddling the split right now.
>
> Apologies in advance if the ASCII rendering doesn't show well in your
> email.

Nice job.  Good illustrations.

I guess the other thing to say is don't do it too early or don't even do it
at all if you are unsure.  Done wrong or too early, you can do real damage
to all but the strongest of hives.

There are things to think about, like, if the bottom box is entirely empty
and you place it above the bees, and it gets cold, will they be OK?  Will
they have to abandon their brood?

Usually this is something you do when the weather is settled and the bees
have a good brood nest and enough population to adapt to the changed
conditions.  Remember, it takes half as many bees to make a cluster when
they are against an insulated lid as it does when they are in free space and
they can spread out to reach feed better.  If you then reverse them, they
will be stressed.

There are good stresses and there are bad stresses.  Good stresses can make
them achieve more than they normally would at a time when there is a good
reason and good chance of success.  Bad stress makes them expend effort when
they are vulnerable and there is not reward.

I had thought I would not write on this topic again since there is so much
in the archives, the address of which is at the bottom of every message, but
maybe this point has to be driven home every year.  (Search for 'reverse' or
'reversing')