From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:44:35 -0700

> > the mites with nowhere else to go have to be careful not to kill their
> host colony, but those with another one/several/hundreds next door can
> simply move sideways (horizontally) to a new host.

Chris, I understand the above in long term evolution.  But what I'm
referring to is the short term--one season.

>I do have some of an issue with the insinuation that
treatment-free causes bee losses, OR is a cause of bee
losses.

Joe, I don't think that anyone is suggesting that being treatment free
causes losses.  What I believe we are referring to is high varroa
infestation rates, which is pretty well documented to cause losses.

My curiosity is to the number of mid sized beekeepers who are able to
maintain profitable operations without treatments for varroa.  We all expect
this in the eventual future;  I'm just looking for a progress report!

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com