From:
Mike Rolewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2013 16:23:31 -0400

> I wonder why some have success and some disaster. I suspect the
> difference may be in the way they are applied.

> Anyone have any comments on this aspect of the question?

I used the pads last year starting in june, my bees wintered in florida. I am located upstate NY. No shortage of mites after the southern winter.  Anyway, I applied 2 strips on double deeps and slide the top box forward half inch or so per instructions. I took many samples at each yard before and after treatment. I found mite counts to be exactly half pretreatment in every hive.

   Then 4weeks later I applied 1 strip perpendicular to frames slightly back from center. This time I did not slide boxes.  I took samples again with the same result, counts cut in half.

  I use a migratory cover with a 3/8 spacer stapled to the bottom side and a 1.5 inch gap in front as an upper entrance. also I use top feeders so there is a 3/4 inch hole in the top center of the lid exposed all summer when feeders are not used.

  I dont remember the exact hive count I used the maqs on but it was somewhere around 175 I had 1 queen either gone or quit laying and requeened it. I did check each hive 1 week after treatment looking for queen troubles. All queens had resumed laying but there had been a break.
  I did a total of three apps 4 weeks apart on each.

 I will be using again but only 1 pad per each double deep.