From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 2015 14:18:04 -0700

> >Why the difference between sunny and shade location in varroa growth?

Both varroa and tracheal mite are sensitive to heat (as well as SHB).  None
reproduce  well at higher broodnest temperatures.  I changed to all dark
boxes when we first got tracheal mite, and have never gone back to white
boxes.  On hot days, the bees are forced to cool the hive, but that cost
may be worth reduced mite reproduction.  Has anyone seen a similar
sun/shade/mite study replicated?

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA