From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2015 18:53:39 -0500
On 1-Nov-15, at 1:28 PM, James Fischer wrote:

Hi Jim and All

> It sounds like you keep some excellent records to know that!

I count & record the number of seams with bees as I drizzle 5ml of
oxalic syrup per seam using a horse syringe, up to 50ml per hive

>> How does Peter's 18,000 relate to  my 5 seams?
>
> So, roughly 21,000 bees for "six seams", in a deep box.  14,000 for
> mediums.

Or 17,500 for 5 seams using your math.  Thanks for that!

> But last winter was exceptionally long and cold, and created a real
> no-win
> situation for even colonies that had been well-provisioned for winter,
> properly monitored, and even fed as their stores ran low.

I put 4- doubles,  and 5- singles into winter last year.  The seam
counts for the doubles was 7,6,6,5 which I assumed went into the
bottom box.  Wrong as only the 7 count survived.  The singles were
10,9,8,9,9 seams and all survived.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada