From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2010 08:11:19 -0500
Hello Kim & All,
I agree with Kim. Not a new concept.
Propolis and violation of bee space was problematic.
I  have spent many hours of my life on the concept. Trashed the designs
after awhile. The U.K. design would work for a hobby beekeeper with excess
time on his /her hands and making weekly inspections but keeping slides free
and the door not glued shut is a chore.
The file cabinet design sounded the best for me but had many issues. One was
trying to get the drawer open if visits were not *done regularly*. Many
times the door would split like a heavily propolised frame. I used a metal
door once which worked better but the bees still propolised the rails.
Actually filled the rails with propolis on one hive. The concept is sound
but *in my opinion* long term would increase the work load (cleaning
propolis) but would eliminate lifting the boxes.
The only new hive concept which has stood the test of time has been the
concept used
in queen rearing where
the top box is hinged to the bottom box. Kona Queen uses these. No lifting.
I am not sure how the box is removed if needed. I do not remember if Gus
uses the concept on his cell builders or finishers or on both?

bob