From:
Lewis Cauble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2013 08:43:32 -0400

> And if, hypothetically, there was a 20% shortage of bees for the
> almond crop in any given year, how does that translate into
> a "pollination disaster"?

This is my question.  As I understand it, almond acreage has increased from
100,000 in 1964 to over 800,000 today.  We always hear about pollination
shortages or gluts in the almonds.  I assume other crops suffer the same ups and
downs, but I do not recall hearing about deep pollination shortages in apples,
cucumbers, etc.  They may be there, but it certainly has not made the news where
I am.

I understand that the almonds are an economic engine for many beekeepers and
certainly all almond growers, but do we really need to feel responsible for
pollinating every single acre of what many would consider a luxury item?  I
enjoy almonds as much as the next guy, but if they were not available or were
out of my price range, my world would just keep on spinning around.  Your milage
may vary.

Lewis