From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2011 08:03:43 +1000
>The most unusual honey I've come across was in Australia. Trevor W. may
>have to correct me on this but I think it was from the Stringybark tree. It
>was the most viscous honey I've ever encountered. On >a hot day you could
>back ten feet or more away from the hive with a super of honey and still
>see strands of honey connected to the burr comb on the top of the hive.
>Getting the supers on the truck was a >sticky job. Stickier than normal I
>mean. The stringy bark tree does have stringy bark so I guess it makes
>sense that the honey is stringy too.

The honey I have got from stringybark has had the viscosity of "normal"
honey.

The one that does "string out" a lot is from red bloodwood (Corymbia
intermedia).  This used to be in the Eucalyptus genus until the botanists
changed it a few years back.  Ted, you would have come across this in your
time with Norm Rice (who by the way is still going well - 90 next year).  It
behaves as you suggested in that the honey strands from the burr comb.  If
you put a spoon in the honey and lift it, again it strings out a long way.
I remember someone a few years back complaining about this honey they got
which they thought wasn't honey because they had problems getting it out of
the jar due to the stringy nature.  This is one of the common ways to pick
honey from red bloodwood.  This honey is also dark red.  It has a strong
flavour so is not commonly sold as a floral variety.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA