Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2018 18:08:12 -0400
Steve Rose wrote:

Chris I only have marginal involvement with the Plymouth study but am
working very closely with a similar study at Bangor University.

Reply:  The parallel project at Bangor University was mentioned.  They aim to collaborate and complement their work.  I have written up my notes of the talks by Dr Mairi Knight and by Victoria, the PhD student who is undertaking the study on chrissladesbeeblog.

I have pointed out to Victoria that as someone (Shrodinger?) had warned, the action of carrying out a study can affect the result.  The colony I selected for my data collection, I opened and, as required, measured the approximate area of sealed worker and of drone (zero) brood and of pollen on each comb and also marked 100 workers so that their longevity can be assessed.  I received about 5 stings (no smoke, no spray, no gloves) and so it scored a mere 3 on the temper scale.  I have opened that colony on 4 previous occasions and received no stings at all!

Chris