From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 18:09:26 -0400
angel wrote:

> I have a geat problem with set honey.I should appreciate it very much if someone could tell me why the honey sets even though the environment is quite warm and even though it was heated.

Honey is a super-saturated solution of sugars. The amount of sugar that
can stay in solution depends on, among other things, temperature,
moisture content, and type of sugar. When conditions are right and there
are "seeds" (bits of pollen, dust, small particles for crystals to form
on) sugar will come out of solution in the form of crystals. Heating
will restore it to a liquid state but if any crystals or seeds remain it
will set up again. Commercial packers heat honey to a high temperature
to guarantee all crystals are liquefied then filter it finely to remove
all possible seeds, then quickly cool the honey back down so that it
stays fairly light and good tasting. Some kinds of honey, such as
goldenrod, basswood, canola, have the type of sugar that will
crystallize easily. Other honey like locust, sumac, cherry, knot weeds
rarely crystallize even when exposed to outdoor temperatures. Since
repeated heating will diminish a honeys quality its best to liquefy only
the amount you need to pack or use immediately. We never expose honey to
a temperature greater than 120F, usually 110F, and don't have much
problem with crystalization.