From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2010 18:15:26 -0400
On 5-Aug-10, at 12:22 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Does this coincide with your black locust bloom?

No Black Locust here.  I checked my Peterson Field Guide which shows
the range ending southeast of Lake Erie

>>> What bee does he favor?  Any particular race/line?

I don't know.  I guess you would call them mongrels

> What are the primary floral sources in your area?

Trees and wildflowers.  No agriculture close.  My summer honey
consists of basswood sweet clover and other plants flowering late
June to early August.  Autumn honey comes from late blooming
varieties of goldenrod and asters usually Mid Sept till frost

> That is really exceptional for a stationary apiary unless this is
> the norm in Ontario.  What kind of area are you in (suburbia, rural)?

The Ministry of Agriculture guesses at the number of hives and honey
produced and divides one by the other to get 80 pounds per colony.
Most beekeepers I know would consider that hive as a dink.  Many
beekeepers get as much or more than I.  I live in a very deep valley
cut through the Niagara Escarpment by the Credit River which passes
between our house and our bees.  It is an unusual area of limestone
cliffs, rivers, tall trees, winding roads and lots of tourists from
Toronto and other urban areas closeby, who keep me busy stocking my
honey table

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada