From:
"Lehr, Carl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:21:04 -0400
Fellow Beekeepers
	If I may clarify, my initial questions regarding our bees were from a position of inexperience and ignorance.  I didn't mean to alarm the community.  I was only seeking guidance; nothing more, nothing less.  In the midst of this evolving dilemma, we have done most of what has been advised regarding courses of action so to answer the preponderance of questions that has resulted, the following is submitted for your review:

>Did the package come from B. Weaver or R. Weaver (both in Navasota)?
Randy and Laura Weaver.

Have they been contacted, and have you a response from them?
YES. As far as I can tell, they are beekeepers of the highest standard whose professional ethics I certainly didn't mean to question or disparage.  They were immediately concerned with our situation and sought to help rectify the situation with replacements and guidance.  They have been nothing but support and surprisingly frank with us and their efforts in support of the beekeeping community are deeply appreciated.

>Was the queen marked when she arrived, such that you will know that she is the original queen when you find her?
Unfortunately, she arrived unmarked and unclipped which was counter to our original order.

>Have the folks in the State Apiary Inspector's office been notified?
YES

>Have any inspectors looked at the subject colony and were samples forwarded to the Bee Research Lab at USDA Beltsville for examination (for physical characteristics of AHB?)
Not yet but we have an appointment with two state inspectors to have them inspected in the immediate future.  They asked that we delay any euthanizing until that inspection.  Samples will be taken and submitted to Beltsville for physical examination.  Until then, we've cordoned off the area (on our farm, in the country) to anyone who may be wandering into the area, just in case.

	When all is said and done, we just want to be able to work our bees in as natural a state as possible.  If my questions were insensitive to the Weavers, I am deeply sorry as that was not the case and believe they know that.  For the record, it is our intention to become part of the greater American beekeeping association and hence will do what is best for all concerned; not necessarily what is best for us, personally.  If they turn out NOT to be AHB and the inspectors tell us we're out of our minds, I'm not sure what we'll do.  Unfortunately, I fear the alternative.
	Regardless of the outcome (which I will report when our scientific finding are complete), I would like you all to know that your continued support and informed participation on Bee-L is deeply appreciated and necessary.   Sincerely, Dave

Dave and Kristi Lehr
Westminster, Maryland