From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 05:28:49 +0200
Allen asks: Any word on Brazil?

I was hearing about the argentinian mortalities for a while back, but as
this was coming from beekeepers opinions I didn't want to share them with
BEE-L. Now it was the authority the one that was calling the Alert therefore
I considered that news to fullfill Bee-l standard.

Out of Bee-l standard and in the arena of perceptions I can say:

In the case of Brasil the same applies, there is some noise particularly
from the southern states but nothing official yet. However the noise also
blames neonics and place some information on the CCD type of argument. The
southern states of Brasil share a weather pattern ( I do not like to talk
about climate) similar to Uruguay and part of Argentina, therefore, it is
plausible a reduction in honey production due to La Niņa.

At Uruguay they are also having problems with neonics (particularly
Fipronil), but their main problem are Pirrilozidine Alkaloids (PA's) tarrif
barriers. Most of the honey from Uruguay have prove to be full of those
PA's. The uruguayan will probably have to find a different market than
Europe, particularly Germany, for their honey.

In the case of Chile I will not talk to protect our industry, ja!!!, not
seriously the prospect do not look good, particularly due to La Niņa cold
and dry weather. I can already say that most of the early flows were lost
due to the colonies being in bad shape; that flow (Tevo) was used to rebuild
colony size rather than producing honey. The season is around a 20 to 30
days delayed. No mayor mortalities have been hear, but a colony size
reduction was serious during winter (July-August).

I just sold my past season crop, and the price I was paid is the same than
last season, but the exchange rate had deteriorated, , in us$ I got a 12%
higher price. I expect the price to cross the us$4 per kilo this season. Now
is around us$3.2 per kilo over here.

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.