Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:19:41 EST
Ok, for something different.

I was going through recipes for feeding bees and found this  statement:
"honey contains materials that bees can not digest and sugar  syrup makes for
a better source of food".

I've encountered that notion from a professional colleague from Europe  who
argued that bees should only be fed fondant - that both syrup and honey
were  bad foods for bees.

Now, I've a really hard time believing the initial statement.  Bees
survived on honey alone long before being manipulated for our own  interests.
Honey has many things lacking in syrup.  Just can't figure  how bees survived,
if honey is an inferior food, especially the idea that it is  inferior to
syrup.

If anyone can justify the claim, I'd be curious as to the rationale; like
to see the data.

Jerry