From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2015 17:47:26 +0000
"Seems Randys correct, we are into the semantics."

It's not a problem of semantics.  It's a misuse of terms.

You seem to think dogs,cats, cows, etc are "breeds".  They are not breeds, they are species.  The varieties we develop are breeds....each species of domestic animal has a number of different breeds.

"Your vet friend is not very bright."

My friends are veterinary professors at Cornell.  I trust what they say.  Also, I supported my point with a reference detailing the challenges in maintaining a highly-bred dairy cow.  In contrast, you are making statements that you substantiate with no references.  We must trust your personal observations, only.

"If you do read the link, you see it is posted about the breeding, not genetics."

That's what we are talking about....breeding affects genetics.  How do you think we get Polish chickens, or corn that doesn't reproduce, or bulldogs that can't bear pups naturally?  Because we altered their genetics through breeding.  Those breeds are DIFFERENT genetically, in a way that breeds true, from other members of the species.  And they are altered in ways that do not persist without human intervention.

"I would bet large amounts of cash that any hog released will survive far beyond what you think"

I'd like to see a 900-pound production hog farrow without a gestation crate.  Maybe it is possible.  Wild pigs can do it, but they are nothing like commercial production hogs.

Christina