Date:
Thu, 9 May 2013 10:47:11 -0400
> On another of your often quoted points: the winter survival (title of this
> thread) of hives in Canada on canola:
> I just received a copy of a letter from the Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer
> of Canada, Dr. Francine Lord in which she says that unofficial reports of
> winterkill in  Canada are 50 percent.   This I know is more than what
> Medhat posted for Alberta, but I don't know if the official figures are out
> yet.  But Dr. Lord says they are going to re-examine the ban on US packages
> for Canada as a result of the winterkill.

Canada's unofficial tracks with the unoffical reports of 50% winter kill in
the US that did not materialize. Amazing how it is always 50%.

We can wait for the official reports.

If you look at the winter kill in the US it tracks well with the severity
of the winter.

Right now, the weather guess is for 2013-2014 winter to have the same
patter as the last winter but a bit colder.

I have been here a while and form conclusions from data presented. There
were large kills in some operations, based on Bob's reports from his
friends, which only leads me to the statistical conclusion that you have
better success at beekeeping being a friend of Randy.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine