From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:30:46 -0500
[BEE-L] Jigsaw pieces

>However, in the course of "explaining the complexities of nosema" one would
>be remiss not to point out that it "just didn't turn out" to be the
>devastating pest that we thought it would be, in many areas.

And in others a very devastating pest which has been linked to the current
bee die off since the start. The complexity of determining what exactly is
killing hives in a country with over two million hives is beyond the
capabilities of many as the number of hives sampled does even make a decent
statistic. The USDA-ARS is basically all commercial beekeepers have to help
with issues but has never been equipped to do more than document *most*
issues.

Still no solution to the current die off and like disappearing disease most
beekeepers doubt there will be.
Document yes. Solution no.

Commercial beekeepers will do as they always have done and find a way to
survive by increased splitting and other methods we come up with.

Controlling nosema ceranae ( NC)either with fumigillin or EO is one of our
top methods today of keeping healthy bees.  Waiting till hives are crashing
is not the best way to move forward. Been there and done that.
I do not need a nosema test yard as I have seen what unchecked nosema
ceranae can do as has Juanse has.

bob

>People who claim to have not experienced serious losses due to nosema
>ceranae are not "building a hypothesis". The are making an observation; the
>conclusion is obvious and doesn't really need to be stated at all.

Researchers argue about everything. Can't seem to agree on most issues *in
my opinion*. Many beekeepers simply pick the easiest way to move forward.
Ignore NC because a beekeeper which has yet to see a NC problem says so on
the net seems the way to go.

Based on *perhaps* never taking a spore count ( or knowledge to do so) or
actually observing NC in the late stage many beekeepers say NC is not an
issue..

  And many do not have a clue to the nosema loads in their bees and could be
blaming their losses on another problem.  *If* the Higes hypothesis is
correct problems could be brewing these people have been lulled into
thinking "no worries" by some on this list.

Kind of like the beekeeper which never cheeked for tracheal mites (TM) and
then his hives crash from TM. How can you know your TM count or NC count if
you do not monitor?

I tell most to test and then call me back and we will talk.

bob