From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2016 11:31:16 -0400

> I find the variation in treatment recommendations fascinating.

For example:
1. I know some US beekeepers that treat with 40 ml of 65% formic acid every
5 days, with 4 cycles (total of 160 ml of 65% formic acid, or 104 ml of
actual formic acid over ~20 days).
2. Ontario Beekeepers’ Association Technology Transfer Program recommends
treating with 250 ml of 65% formic acid with one pad over a 21 day time
period (total of 162.5 ml of actual formic acid over ~21 days) (
http://www.ontariobee.com/sites/ontariobee.com/files/docume
nt/250ml-pamphlet-op.pdf)
3. WVA recommends treating with between 85 ml and 110 ml (plus 15 ml
HoneyBHealthy) of 50% formic acid per colony over a 24 hour time period
(total of 42.5-55ml of actual formic acid over ~1 day) (
http://anr.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/37598)
4. I know other individuals (myself included) who have used 85ml on a
single the way WVa suggests with a mas exit of the bees, so they suggest
60-65 ml of 50% formic acid per single over a 24 hour time period (total of
30-32.5 ml of actual formic acid over ~1 day)

Overall, the suggestions vary between 30ml and 162.5 ml of formic acid (at
100%, actually diluted to various amounts though) exposed to the colonies
between 1 and 21 days. Very interesting.

Personally, I've tried numbers 3 and 4. 3 was too much formic acid, and 4
seemed about right. Overall good efficacy rate, and depending on the temps
and the time of day you use it, some brood kill, but not much (or any, if
timed right). But if 32 ml of actual formic seemed about right, 45 ml of
actual formic was too much, I can't imagine putting 162.5 ml of formic in a
hive and coming back to any type of colony. But the delivery methods may be
very different.

Seems like something that is very ripe for study.