From:
"Lehr, Carl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:58:47 -0500
Hello to the group,
Rod said: > So if you feed that honey to another hive, you may kill that hive too.>

Bob said: >I don't think that's *exactly* what she said Rod.>

I also attended the same MSBA meeting at the Howard County Fairgrounds and must agree with Bob on the final point.
Even Dewey Caron questioned a couple of her "observations" after her presentation.  While she DID state that feeding
last years honey (from dead outs) to this years colonies was not recommended, she could not assert that viruses alone
could/would kill a colony.

When pressed by Dewey and another gentleman from the Bee Lab in Beltsville (I think), she clarified that without varroa
infestation, that the bees had developed an uncanny ability to "deal" with most of the viruses on their own.
Only when the varroa-ridden colonies were "infected" with the viruses; did they succumb to a combination of both "attacks".
However, their research was clearly focused on the viruses, NOT varroa.

Again, (to parrot Bob), "control the varroa; and the virus problems will go away".  Or at the very least, not negatively impact
the bees.

Dave Lehr
Carroll County, Maryland