From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:03:27 -0500
Lois Rich questioned larvae in her husband's hive that did not seem to fit
the descriptions she found of wax moth larvae.
Lois, we have a new pest and if you are very unlucky it may be infesting
your hive.  It is called the small hive beetle, and the larvae does all the
damage.  I have never seen this larvae alive, but understand it can be
easily be distinguished from the wax moth larvae because it has "pro-legs".
These are little appendages that look like legs (but are not).  They look
like the "legs" on inch worms and other moth/butterfly larvae.  If your
larvae have these, run, do not walk, to your state department of agriculture
and report your finding.  If they do not, you have wax moth larvae and can
relax.
With your disturbance, the bees will be able to get to the wax moth larvae
and will kill them.  They were previously hidden inside the burr comb that
you broke.
Good luck,
Lloyd
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds(tm).  The finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com