From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 12:59:34 -0400
It has frequently been suggested that varroa reproduce preferentially in drone brood in Apis cerana, and that this has something to do with cell size or development time. The following excerpt seems to indicate that these are NOT the reasons at all. Evidently varroa are just as likely to enter worker as drone cells, but a much more diligent behavior on the part of the housecleaners toward worker brood accounts for why varroa are seldom found there.