From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2015 15:59:49 -0500
Hi all
So, this isn't about supplemental feeding or stimulative feeding, separate issues both. What I am interested in is starvation rations. Obviously, if the hive has enough honey, no need for this. However, with the winters we have been having, it seems more of a problem colonies running out in late winter.

In "Advanced Beekeeping Methods" from Purdue Extension (Greg Hunt and Natalie Carroll):

Colonies can be fed in cold weather by putting
granulated sugar (white) on the inner cover. Another efficient
feeding method for the winter is to make a cake of hard
candy following the recipe below.

Winter Bee Candy

15 pounds granulated sugar
3 pounds clear high-fructose corn syrup
4 cups water
1/3 tablespoon of cream of tartar

Mix the ingredients and heat it to 242°F (use a candy
thermometer to determine the temperature). Pour the heated
mixture into molds to make flat cakes that will fit on top of
an inner cover. Place the hardened cakes over the inner cover
(keeping the opening free for the bees to feed).

* * *

On the other hand, this one seems super easy:

Fondant icing for those who wish to make their own this is the recipe we use in Lancashire:

Proportions by volume: 5 parts sugar to 1 part water.
Boil for about three minutes and cool the container in a sink of cold water, stirring until the mixture thickens and whitens. Pour into suitable containers, leave to cool and slice.

PLB