Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2011 11:17:00 -0400
Hi All,
I tried to find out how the packages have done sense installation with little response to my inquiries but of the few that did it appears that most packages have don't fine. Ones that where placed on combs with stores doing the best. The installs that had the most difficulties where installs on foundation only and starter strips for natural comb. The main problem was the lack of interest in taking syrup by some of the packages after installation but not all. The ones reluctant to take syrup did take syrup once there where warmed up in heated buildings or some that only had one or two hives placed heating pads on the bottom boards.
With that said the unofficial word is that over wintering colonies have not don't as well here in British Columbia with reports from 20% to 100% losses.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/beekeepers+hard+winter+losses/4512434/story.html

B.C. beekeepers are recovering this spring from the worst winter bee colony die-off in years. After five difficult years, apiarists are reporting losses ranging from 20 to 100 per cent due to disease and cold, wet weather.

β€œIt’s not looking good right now β€” this is about the same as our poorest year [five years ago],” said John Gibeau, who maintains 2,000 bee colonies.