Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:49:58 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I kept bees for many years in California. Beekeepers registered their hives with the state and got a unique number, which they could brand onto their hives. This was some protection against theft. 

Later, the state began requiring a sign with large letters visible so that someone could tell from a distance whose bees they were. This could provide information to a grower, or to the fire department if a brush fire headed toward them. Almost everyone sooner or later lost a yard of bees to fire, I know I did. 

A few years ago NY state passed a mandatory registration law, complete with ID numbers but lacking the sign requirement. THe signage is the most useful part of any apiary law! 

But the beekeepers of NY found such a law so onerous, that they banded together (pretty rare for beekeepers) and had it repealed. Now there is no requirement for registration and no real bee inspection, just some spot checking for interstate travel.

Beekeepers have been notorious for not wanting to share information, no matter how much that information would help them, because they are so bound and determined to go it alone and avoid helping other beekeepers. Some things don't change.

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2