From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:01:57 -0400
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:48:50 -0400, Bob Harrison
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Brian,
>What part of "thousands of hives in California contain SHB" do you
not
>understand?
>
>Did border controls stop tracheal mites?
>
>Did border controls stop Varroa?
>
>Did border controls stop africanized bees?
>
>After over 50,000 hives were sent into California containing SHB over
eight
>years ago and the SHB is established in California. What is turning a
load
>for a single dead SHB all about?

Bob your overall message just sounds so self serving.

So I and other non-interstate migratory beekeepers should roll over
and let interstate migratory beekeepers do what ever they want ?
Cause there's nothing we can do? Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

Its a shame that beekeeping has come to this sort of nonsense just
so a minority of beekeepers can make some sort of living from it.

We are sacrificing much for the benefit of a few.....its not fair and IMO
not right .

Like why should I care if the almond people overplanted with no plan
in mind for pollination other then shipping bees from 4 corners of the
world and inadvertently helping to screw up the rest of beekeeping for
the majority of beekeepers?

How long before we have a half a dozen foreign critters in our hives?

Its not like all problems in beekeeping are the fault of interstate
migratory  beekeepers. But no one can argue that they don't help move
the problems along at a greater speed.  I don't see them offering any
solutions either.

The way this is going I'd like to propose and see a new National
beekeepers organizatioin formed that represents the interests of the
non-interstate migratory beekeepers.

I'm tired of having a few represent the masses.  I'm tired of hearing
there's nothing we can do.......IMO there would be more glory in finding
solutions that last beyond a lifetime then bringing in bees from
Austrailia or advocating a free for all in interstate movements...all for
what could be a short term gold rush in almonds.

Let me suggest that these are tough times in our industry and we
need leadership that reflects all beekeepers interests and not lame
excuses that are self serving.