From:
Christopher Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 20:22:34 EST
Part of the complex equation of keeping bees and the discussion of issues
arising therefrom is that, except in Garth's area, the majority of bees are
kept by PEOPLE and the discussion is conducted entirely by them.  People can
be brilliant, witty, well informed, conventional, concise, inventive,
invective, entertaining or patient.  They can also be the converse of all
these attributes, sometimes appearing to have several of these characters at
once, more or less depending how many of the characters the reader has.
The common thread is that they all keep and are interested in learning and
sharing their knowledge about bees. The only way they can do so is by being
themselves (or as much as themselves as they are willing to display).
The conversation on the list ebbs and flows like any other conversation.
There are high spots and boring bits, whirlpools and eddies, deeps, shallows
and rapids, and in the stream are people who make headway against the flow,
those who go with the tide and those who are soon out of their depth.  They
all deserve the respect of being read, even when they are wrong or, worse,
boring.
Most people can heed Andy's oft expressed warning that opinions are not
necessarily facts.  As a person who knows nothing about anything I appreciate
the opportunity this list offers to read the words of and question those who
know so much more, even though I may display my ignorance in doing so. My plea
is that the proprietorial hand on the tiller of this vessel be a light as
possible and if absolutely necessary regulate by length rather than content.
Chris Slade