From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:50:10 -0400
I'd repeat the process and see if you get the same response.  Could be they were just having a bad hair day.  As others have noted, the same hive can react very differently, even in the same day.  If they are repeatedly aggressive, then either a) there is something ticking them off every night, like a skunk, or b) they have turned to the Dark Force.  Or they don't like your clothes or your shampoo or your cologne.  Or something else.  They're bees.  Hard to figure.

I am about 70 miles farther north than you in the Connecticut River valley, and with temps in the mid to upper 50's this weekend my bees were very active.  Finally.  I stood with my face right next to several hives at the height of the top entrance, trying to see if they were bringing in pollen, yet (bad eyes).  They flew all around me and even landed on me, but in general ignored me, even though I was smoking a cigar.  I also opened hives and added pollen patties without smoke or veil.  They ignored me.

BTW, did not see any pollen.  But, they were VERY focused, flying in specific directions.  Was wondering if anything is blooming yet that has nectar.  Did not see anything open, but could smell the wonderful smell of bee activity coming from the hives.