From:
Peter Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 10:57:59 -0800
Anyone interested in beekeeping history, particularly how beekeeping
pioneers transported bees across the oceans (eg. from Europe to the New
World - North an South America, Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific
Islands) in sailing ships in the 19th century and earlier. I have source
material on Australian and New Zealand 19th century beekeeping history
from which I published 'The Immigrant Bees 1788-1898' in late 1995. I'm
building up material for a second edition so all contributions are
welcome.
I'm currently researching the activities of beekeeper and missionary
William Charles Cotton ('My Bee Book', 1842) in NZ in the 1840's through
his unique and fascinating set of journals he wrote while in NZ. They
contain many attractive hand drawings of Maoris, bee houses, scenery,
people, maps, buildings. Anyone with biographcal material on Cotton
please mail me.
Regards, Peter Barrett, Springwood, New South Wales, Australia.