From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 09:30:09 -0700

> >I believe it slows the cycle ( as compared to Georgia/Florida/ and of
> course
> California best kept secret).

Hardly a secret.  SHB is well established in the Bay Area of California, but
appears to be unable to maintain a population in the drier areas where the
queen breeders are, or where I am.  Don't know if it is the lack of moisture
and humidity, or whether it will eventually invade our areas.

Calif beeks who have picked up SHB say that it disappears if they move their
hives to dry areas.

I know that Bob has a problem with California beekeepers wanting to slow the
invasion of new parasites carried by migratory out of state beekeepers.  The
Calif queen breeders in particular want to avoid having their baby nucs from
being invaded by SHB from out of state hives placed near their mating yards.
 So certain counties require inspection of incoming bees, and eradication of
SHB if found.

I feel that they have every right to ask for such restrictions.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA