From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2018 19:32:03 -0400
a Pete B snip..

>In other words, to classify as a separate race or subspecies, the type must have distinct and those characters need be hereditary. Not sure color qualifies as a significant character. It is generally heritable although in bees environment affects coloration. One must be aware of phenotypic plasticity whereby a particular species behaves differently in different environments.

First let me say Peter I agree with your larger hypothesis which I think is ??? basically the concept of race of bees is different in the US than in Europe. IE at one time there may have been clear distinction in the European bees prior to them being moved about but here in the US we raise mutts... basically a mixture of a.m.m., Italian, carnies and caucasians. And any of these may not arrived here in the US as pure stock. DNA analysis (2004) posted on the wall at the entomology department at Texas A&M also suggest there is a bit of 'Spanish bee' in the mix down in the southwestern US.

To my understanding (I think I got this from the old Glenn Apiary site)there was a darker version of the Italian bee (I assumed from northern Italy???) which is often overlooked but none the less the American perception of an Italian is basically of the three banded type. To my recollection the 'northern Italian' and the Carni looked much alike. IMHO color would be one characteristic... but only one. Characteristic (or any concept that includes the idea of quality) is also subject to a wide variation in individual interpretation < reference Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance which is still a good read when you spend too many hours in the passenger side of a bee truck.

I think terms like 'all American' and 'all stars' (I am not certain how far back those terms have existed???) was more about marketing queen bees that might vary in color and disposition. The ideal I acquired, 1983 or so, was to view these as good commercial stock < ie robust stock which would vary considerable by color and disposition < pre varroa and pre africanized bees yes some of these could be quite hot. Around experience beekeepers you learn how to dress for the occasion!  The folks I worked for used a lot of these in the there honey operation but the packages they sold (via Sears and Roebuck) were with midnight and starline queen 'hybrids' which all went to hobby beekeeper.  All of these queens were purchased thru one of the Weaver outfits down in Navasota (there were 3 at that time) but not sure which came from whom. In a similar line of thought  sometimes the various Weavers are often confused.

Good discussion...

Gene in Central Texas...