From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 12:01:45 EST
Michael Burns <[log in to unmask]> is perplexed.

> problem
> This morning I found the bottom boards covered in dead bees and other
> dead bees scattered in the snow in front of the hives.  I even found
> the odd bee 10, 20, 30 feet in front of the hives.  When I approached
> the hives I saw 2 bees fly out and off in the distance as if to
> forage (-4 degrees C and overcast).
>
> What gives?

Michael,

Nothing to worry about.  Dead bees on the bottom board in winter is
expected.  The mortuary bees are on winter break - that is to say during
the winter the bees don't do the normal routine of removing dead bees
from the hives.  In fact, dead bees on the bottom board is another
reason to provide upper entrances in your hives during winter.  Some-
times the dead bees can collect to such a depth that they block the
bottom entrance preventing the live bees from making cleansing flights
on warmer days.  The bees you saw leaving "as if to forage" were most
likely leaving to relieve themselves.  Also, scattered bees around the
hive is considered a good thing at this time of year.  They were bees
leaving the hive which did not make it back.  The carcasses outside the
hive are carcasses that aren't adding to the heap on the bottom board.
It is normal to have bees die, summer or winter.  What is different in
the winter is that the dead bees aren't carried off and there is a white
background around the hive making it easier for the beekeeper to see the
dead bees.  You will be amazed in the spring by the number of dead bees
you will have to clean off your bottom boards, but the situation you
describe is not a cause for concern.

Although I don't think you have a problem, I have to offer a disclaimer
that one can't make a correct diagnosis of a situation without actually
seeing the situation.  One symptom of tracheal mite infestation is for
the bees to just up and leave the hive in mid-winter, marching off to
oblivion.  However, what you described sounds more like my first guess
than a mass exodus.  Given the care and preparations you took this fall,
what you observed and described sounds to me like SOP and hopefully your
bees are fine.

I'm located about 3 1/2 hours south of Montreal, but the climatic
conditions are pretty similar.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!