From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2012 18:14:33 -0500
>Are there any lists or web sights where "Swinger" or similar forklifts are
>listed for sale - used?

Used swingers in useable to very good condition are very hard to find.
Apiaries and orchards made offers ( and still do) for the old models. Their
reconditioned models (converted to diesel ) are worth the money asked. Parts
are not easy to come by but the three pumps are available but the last I was
involved with we were able to find two new pumps and one rebuilt. I doubt
new pumps are available now only rebuilt (with exchange).

I keep a section of old swinger parts ( will make offers on old swingers or
parts).

Every time I call when I see an ad the older swinger is sold within hours of
publication.
If you buy a wore out old swinger be prepared to either have Apiaries and
orchards rebuild or spend a bunch of time working on yourself.

I have a background in mechanics which is impressive ( dealership mechanics
& high performance) so restoring I can do.

I have experience with the new "hummerbee" and "swingers" and prefer *for my
needs* the older models. Allen Dicks website describes various issues with
the older swingers in his beekeepers diary.

Many prefer bobcats. Bell Apiaries in Florida believes Bobcats are the way
to go. I have experience with Bobcats with a fifth wheel. Bell makes an
excellent case for why the Bobcat is the better choice. Bobcat service is
all over the U.S. (Not for swingers and hummerbees.) Used are available and
Bobcats hold their value as the most popular with construction people. Dave
Mendes & Shad Sullivan sell fifth wheels which can be attached and removed
when sold.

The Bobcats are harder to learn to move bees with & harder to climb on and
off. The swingers articulate which has benefits but will turn over if a
heavy
syrup tank is high and you turn sharply.

The price of everything rises every year (with no end in site). If you plan
to be in the business for another 10 years I would suggest  buying newer
equipment and writing off your business.
If you are mechanical (with shop) and can wait for parts or repair then
older might work.

You might want to get a knowledgeable beekeeper to look at a older swinger
from the 70's before buying as if not kept up will need serious repair for
everyday bee work. I would not myself by an older swinger without checking
over (unless owned by a friend) Allen has quite a bit of experience with the
older swingers.

The story of swingers is interesting as beekeepers designed the swinger.

BOB