From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2015 09:28:29 +0200
Peter wrote
> Since most cooling is provided by cold dry Canadian air the inside RH
> can be a problem. They have leaned what to target for RH and devise
> different techniques to add moisture.

I have long experience of inside winitering, but I have no idea what
problems could arise from low RH.

As bees eat honey/ sugar from winter stores they produce moisture and
this is the main reason for winter ventilation needs for hives outside
in cold climates. Do you mean that they exhale all this moisture up to
liters / month and still need drinking water?

Water is needed for brood production, but at least here in Northern
Europe we prefer that bees don't start brooding in inside wintering, as
we see no benefits from this.

Do Canadian indoor wintered hives have brood when they are taken out? My
hives don't.

Ari Seppälä
Beekeeping advicer
Finland