From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 22:18:00 GMT
DCF>From: Digest Cesar Flores <[log in to unmask]>
   >Date:         Wed, 2 Jul 1997 10:36:21 -0400
   >Subject:      Re: Burr comb on queen excluders

DCF>I have heard of using burlap instead of an inner cover. At $.30 compared to
   >$6.50 for wood it is certainly cheaper. Of course a wooden one could be
   >substituted for drip-feeding or with an escape if those methods are used, b
   >are there any other advantages/disadvantages to using burlap?

It makes the best smoker fuel when it is replaced when used a season as
the inter cover on a bee hive as it picks up wax and bee glue that
combined with the jute makes very sweet mild clouds of white smoke that
calms the bees and beekeeper.

The only commercial beekeeping uses other then smoker fuel I have seen
in the bees is under "old" flat tops to make them bee tight, and also
used to keep bees from moving, fighting, when used on hives that have
been divided into two or three compartments for queen or nuc rearing.

Used Burlap is moving into the endangered species category as paper,
plastic, and other bulk packaging has just about replaced it making it
hard to find in some areas and at much higher cost.

DCF>In a message dated 97-06-30 00:28:48 EDT, you write:

DCF><< A number of  commercial lids or inner-covers I have seen in use have a
   >3/8"
   > - 1/2" rim on the underside.  Can't say why -- the top-bee-space (the
   > "standard" in North America) then ends up way too large, and the bees can
   > plug that all up with burr comb, = pain-in-in-the-neck. >>
---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ Let the honey flow!!!!!