From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2010 21:33:07 -0400
Bob writes:
I think you did an excellent job of trying to explain the complexities of
nosema ceranae. You are one of the first to say out loud that *perhaps*
nosema ceranae in certain areas could be harder than varroa to get a handle on.

This is hardly the case. When nosema ceranae was first identified here, our state apiculturist traveled up and down the state trying to alert beekeepers to the potential seriousness of this "new" pest. He spoke earnestly of implementing fumagillin treatments, taking samples, etc.

However, in the course of "explaining the complexities of nosema" one would be remiss not to point out that it "just didn't turn out" to be the devastating pest that we thought it would be, in many areas.

People who claim to have not experienced serious losses due to nosema ceranae are not "building a hypothesis". The are making an observation; the conclusion is obvious and doesn't really need to be stated at all.