From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:23:05 -0600

Peter said:
>I don't get this part. You want to show us where anyone anywhere has
>"blamed all commercial beekeeper's problems on commercial beekeepers"?

Penn State ( and the CCD team) in their writings as do many other
researchers point to illegal use of miticides as the source of our
problems.  Strictly hypothesis which can not be proven!

The new yet to be discovered pathogen hypothesis:
A yet to be found pathogen is responsible for "disappearing disease" (CCD)
hypothesis after three years and a higher amount of money spent than on any
other beekeeping issue in history yet no new pathogen.
Call me when you find said pathogen but as time goes on and no new pathogen
is found one has to assume there is no new pathogen.

What can be proven about checkmite & apistan is:

Those which started using the legal label dose of the Zoecon Apistan  strips
for 10 years. !989-1998 ( Bob Harrison plus many many commercial beeks) and
then switched to the Bayer Checkmite strips for another 3-4 years. ( Bob
Harrison plus many commercial beeks ) saw thriving hives dwindle. Tests
showed persistent coumaphos combined with fluvalinate wax  issues. Direct
phone calls to Italy and early U.S. research showed that the contamination
would stay and very slowly dissipate.

Our brood comb was in effect ruined ( frigging ruined!!!!!!) due to the
LEGAL l use of these two products (personal experience) . Much like your
liver taken out when too much Tylenol is used in combination with vicodin.

I realize getting Bayer to step forward and accept responsibility is a bit
much to ask but at least on the internet beekeepers need to understand the
scam being put forward.

Does any supply house warn against using the two products together? Nope!

Did our hives become thriving again after we removed the coumaphos/
fluvalinate  comb?

Hell Yes!

The research Randy points to from Penn State about coumaphos being a good
thing one has to remember these are the same people which did the Science
article saying CCD was likely caused by the virus IAPV and IAPV came in from
Australia.  Nosema ceranae & KBV not a cause of concern.

Also coumaphos is and has always been the worst control for small hive
beetle. Coumaphos has no place in a bee hive. A SHB trap was invented by
beekeepers ( 1999) the year after the entry of SHB (1998)which completely
controls SHB. The design is passed by word of mouth from beekeeper to
beekeeper.
Works better than the West or the Cutts SHB traps!

Anyone which believes comb like i describe with fluvalinate/ coumphos high
levels is not a problem for bees in the brood nest I have some ocean front
property in Missouri to sell you!

bob