From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2013 18:54:33 -0400
> This whole thread about GLP and the Fraziers is a little baffling to people outside the loop.  Could you give a little hint as to what you are referring to.

From the live press conference, slightly edited for clarity:

Frazier: My question is for the folks from EPA … I understand that there has been some action to limit the input of University research on pesticides under the guise of this research not being done under … Good Laboratory Practices. That because University research … involving pesticides is not done under this particular set of guide lines that research is not considered when informing the regulatory process. Can you comment on that?

EPA: I want to make it really clear that we use all best available information in our risk assessments and so we're using not only information supplied by the registrant as required by federal statutes but we also search the scientific literature and use all the information that's available.

Frazier: So there is currently no existing regulation that limits the use of University generated literature or research when considering any issues involving pesticide registration or risk assessment ...

EPA: Absolutely not. In fact when you go on our website you'll see the procedures we use to search the open literature both human health risk assessments and ecological risk assessments and it lays out the procedures that we use to collect that information and use it in our risk assessment.

Frazier: OK. All right. Thank you very much.