From:
"Bob, W7VZX" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 18:44:34 -0700
Greetings All - I'm a farm type in the central part of Washington State,
USA and have 5 hives as a hobby and learning experience.  I have enjoyed
and learned a lot from this very fine group.  Thanks all.

Recently I noticed the following article in a monthly newsletter
published by our local Argicultural Cooperative-Extension Service
people.  Anyone know of or able to give a better run down on the exact
method and when it will be approved by the EPA here in the USA?  Costs?
Etc.?

"VARROA AND TRACHAEL MITES are parasitic pests that threaten both
cultured and feral honeybee populations across the U.S.  New USDA
research using formic acid in a gel formulation as a control for mites
in hived bees offers hope for managing the two pests with a single
treatment.  Currently only fluvalinate, for varroa mites and menthol for
trachael mites are approved control measures by EPA.  With the new
methode, the formic acid gel in a plastic bag is opened inside the hive
where it evaporate over time to eradicate parasitic mites, leaving
behind only a harmless residue."

Any Information?

Thanks all

Regards,