From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 09:54:20 -0400
<<<<<<Costel,
One imperial pint = 20 FLUID ounces, this is the same weight as one pint
of water, 1 imperial pint of honey would weigh approximatley 20 oz.
--
Tom Speight>>>>>>>
I must disagree with the above.  You are right about the Imperial pint. A
fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce so an Imperial pint of water weighs
20 ounces.  An Imperial gallon is 8 pints, 160 ounces or 10 pounds. I think
 there is confusion because the American ounce and pound are the same as
Imperial but the pint, quart and gallon are smaller, 0.83 of the Imperial.
Honey is much heavier than water so an Imperial pint of honey must weigh
much more than 20 ounces.
Getting down to figures, honey with water content of 17%  has a specific
gravity (relative density) of 1.4237 at 20 degrees Centigrade.Thus it is
nearly  one and a half times the weight of water and a pint will weigh
1.4237 times 20 ounces,   nearly 28 and a half ounces.
Most honey in England is retailed in the shops in glass jars holding one
pound (454 grammes) to the nearest gramme.  One pound of 17% honey as above
will occupy a space of 11.5 fluid ounces if my arithmetic is correct.
Weaker honey will creep up towards 12 ounces.  Thus we have a so called 12
ounce jar.
Honey in bulk is rated as approximately 14 pounds to the gallon.  17% honey
would be 14.237 pounds. Honey at exactly 14 pounds to the gallon would be
rather poor stuff, just on 20% water.           [log in to unmask]