Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:10:05 -0400
> My understanding is that making candy inverts the sugar, making it more
> digestible. I believe this study was using plain sugar in the so-called
> mountain-camp method.Hope Mike can bail me out if I'm wrong.

If you add acid (like cream of tartar) to the sugar you invert it. I do not.
If you boil it down to candy, most all is still not inverted.

Point of reference. Most nectars are either sucrose or have quite a bit of
it, so I have no idea where the issue of "digestibility" comes from when
addressing invert sugar. Now, if we are looking at the conversion of sucrose
by enzyme action to glucose and fructose, then there is a link.

We do the same thing as bees in that we also split sucrose into glucose and
fructose, but the body regulates the amounts of both. Sort of the same thing
happens with nectar but it is more time/temperature/concentration dependent.
In our case, it is actually bad to flood the body with fructose. Studies
show a direct relationship with fructose intake and high blood pressure.
Also helps your get fat.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine