Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 08:55:51 -0400
>I would say that if anything is clear it is that nosema behaves differently in different climates. If I were you, I would feed half the yard and see if it makes a difference. Mark the treated hives and see if they do better.

I did exactly that this past fall, all hives that were fed fumidil were marked with pink duct tape.  We had the third worst winter since they kept records, seemed worse than that. I lost 20% of my hives which is high for me. I treated all of some apiaries, and every other hive in some apiaries.  Almost all the deadouts I'm bringing in don't have the pink tape on them. I also did this last year, but didn't have enough deadouts to make a decision. I did my mite treatments on time, and had few mites in testing after the treatment.  MY partner treated exactly like I did except did not treat with fumidil, he is at 50% loss so far. My best apiary for the last 7 years I didn't treat and lost 9 out of 12. As randy and bob have discussed before about them having different varieties of N.C. with different symptoms, I find mine more match bob's. Having read randy's site about N.C. and that abundant good pollen will work as well as fumidil and we had the best summer ever last year I did make the mistake of not testing any hives for N.C. before treating them last fall, but when the inspectors had tested always found N.C. Unless the researchs come to N.Y and do there research locally, I will be a devote feeder of fumidl until they come out with something better, this past winter convinced me.

mike syracuse

note to moderators if you get more than one of these, I'm one of the people that hasn't been able to post since bee-l moved, still working on it