From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 06:19:59 -0700

> >For a published view on the impacts of the neonics in Australia, the
> following article may be of interest.
> http://theabk.com.au/article/**neonicotinoids-australia<http://theabk.com.au/article/neonicotinoids-australia>

Thank you for this article Peter.  I can tell the readers that it
accurately describes Australian beekeepers, who are a very impressive lot,
as far as their understanding of the environment and the honey flows.

Unfortunately, the author is a bit more shaky on his other facts:

> IMIDACLOPRID acts by blocking the activity of nerves in the peripheral
and central nervous systems of the insect

For example, this statement is patently untrue.  This is not the mode of
action--the neonics are agonists, not antagonists.

>NEONICS are accumulative in bees.

Again, completely untrue.  They are rapidly degraded in the bees' bodies.

> This was Jack’s second Adverse Experience with his bees foraging canola
over the last two years

Peter, this is of great interest.  There is good communication between the
Australians and the Canadians.  Has anyone followed up to see why there
might be such a major difference for bees on treated canola in the two
countries?

>“Significant numbers of dead and stressed fish were reported to be in the
Darling River

"Imidacloprid is considered to have a low toxicity to fish. Because
imidacloprid breaks down rapidly in water and sunlight (3 hour half-life),
there is little chance, even if a large amount was applied directly to
water, that it would impact fish. Imidacloprid, unlike toxins such as
mercury, does not bioaccumulate and thus is rapidly excreted."

>The cotton in the area is over 95% seed treated GMO

If a pesticide has a long half life in the soil, then that means that it
can't be leaching into the water.  Conversely, if it is leaching into the
water, then that means that it is not leaving residue in the soil.   Peter,
you can't have it both ways.

As you noted, the following says it all:
" The APVMA states, “To date we see no casual evidence in Australia that
would lead us to review the regularity status of CLOTHIANIDIN. If you and
your beekeeper networks feel there is, we need you to report adverse
experiences to us via the adverse experience reporting program and also
notify your industry association of your concerns”.

Whining is easy--any child can do it.  Taking actual action and filling out
a form takes work.  But only through such work can we give our regulatory
agencies the evidence necessary to protect bees and beekeepers.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA