Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2018 09:09:45 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
My point is if you want to add vinegar, or any other acid, to sugar solutions you are feeding your bees part, or all, of the vinegar you add is just going to react with the natural bicarbonate in your local water and that part consumed by bicarb will not acidify the water in the slightest.  

Dick,  you mentioned the Chlorine,  I use it a lot,  but the reason is simple,  I make syrup in 300Gallon batches,  sometimes it sits for a month before it gets used.  As such the bleach helps.

Sugar syrup is a bad plan here,  spoils pretty quickly if you don’t get it on strong hives and used quickly.

My biggest issue is spoilage.  HFCS alone is fine,  you can get away with about 20% water with zero problems,  but as soon as you go above that problems start.  Mold,  and vinegar are real issues,  and I spend time dumping out and cleaning feeders.  Not all bees clean up the syrup fast enough.

That said,  I like the idea mentioned in the report  a kilo of extra bees in 3 weeks would be well worth the cost, but my question is would adding that vinegar act as a "seed"  and start the fermentation process?

Trying to find the right balance of water, sugar and pumping based on weather is not as easy as it seems.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2